News on the coronavirus of May 31, 2022; gta world
The latest coronavirus news from Canada and around the world on Tuesday. This file will be updated throughout the day. Web links to longer stories if available.
10:15 a.m. Ontario Reports 590 New Cases of COVID-19 Tuesday and 15 New Deaths; 808 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, including 140 in intensive care.
10am Unvaccinated municipal workers in Hamilton have been given a four-month reprieve to keep their jobs until they can provide proof of vaccination by September.
After a contentious debate on May 25, councilors supported by an 11-3 vote a motion brought forward by Ward 8 Council. Esther Pauls will give unvaccinated municipal workers an additional four months, until September 30, to provide a proof of vaccination against COVID-19. The workers, estimated at just over 320 people, were laid off on June 1 by the city. Chief Human Resources Officer Lori Fontana said about 94% of employees are fully vaccinated.
Pauls asked for at least a delay from the city to lay off unvaccinated staff to determine how much it will cost the city in legal fees, as well as replacement and retraining of staff.
9:30 a.m. Carlos Correa has tested positive for COVID-19, the Minnesota Twins said after Monday’s 7-5 loss to the Detroit Tigers.
“We found out during the game,” Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said. “He is back at the hotel to rest and we will find out what the next few days will mean for him.”
Baldelli said the 27-year-old shortstop was not feeling well but had no significant symptoms.
“He’s under the weather, but nothing above and beyond,” Baldelli said. “I think rest and hydration are the most important things for him right now.”
8:50 am Police raided homes and offices in northern and western Germany on Tuesday as part of an investigation into a case involving five men accused of fraudulently applying millions in pandemic aid.
The German government has drawn up a series of aid programs to help businesses weather the impact of shutdowns and other restrictions at the height of the coronavirus pandemic.
The suspects in this investigation – men between the ages of 26 and 62 – are believed to have made at least 363 requests for help under false pretenses “for their own ends and for companies that commissioned them”, according to a press release. of the font. It is believed to have resulted in a loss of several million euros, he added.
The investigation was launched in April 2020 after a development bank in the northern state of Lower Saxony reported suspicious activity. Twenty-five properties were searched on Tuesday, including the homes of the five suspects, but police said there were no arrests. They froze assets totaling 3.5 million euros, seized cash and expensive watches.
7:22 Boris Johnson is facing a drip from Tory MPs calling on him to quit, as former attorney general Jeremy Wright said on Monday the so-called partygate scandal had caused “lasting damage” to the government.
The Prime Minister had hoped that with Parliament in recess to mark 70 years of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign, Tory rebels would remain relatively calm in their districts. The government is also rolling out a series of announcements it considers popular with Conservative voters, including a plan to reinstate Imperial Measures.
But the plan doesn’t seem to be working. The number of Tories calling for a leadership change is slowly but steadily growing, with 10 more made public since the publication last week of an internal investigation into illegal gatherings in Downing Street during the pandemic.
Although it did not contain an obvious smoking gun, it laid bare the extent of the drinking and partying that took place in government offices under Johnson’s watch. Wright said the events described in the report risk undermining the current administration, but also “the authority of government in general.”
5:40 am Shanghai authorities announced on Wednesday they would take major steps to reopen China’s largest city after a two-month COVID-19 lockdown that strangled the national economy and largely locked millions of people in their homes. houses.
Full bus and subway service will be restored, as will basic rail connections to the rest of China, Vice Mayor Zong Ming said at a daily press briefing on the city’s outbreak on Tuesday.
“The outbreak has been effectively brought under control,” she said, adding that the city would begin the process of fully restoring work and life on Wednesday.
Schools will partially reopen on a voluntary basis for students and malls, supermarkets, convenience stores and pharmacies will continue to reopen gradually with no more than 75% of full capacity. Cinemas and sports halls will remain closed.
5:30 The first cession in modern times saw women ‘caught in a cycle of job loss’, and women’s struggle to regain a foothold in the labor market is not over, with labor experts fearing for the resumption of the country’s care economy given the loss of workers.
An analysis by the Canadian Center for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) released on Tuesday found that women have suffered “disproportionate economic losses” compared to men during the pandemic, highlighting the high number of women in industries particularly vulnerable to pandemic restrictions and the precariousness of these positions.
Although overall employment rates for all women aged 15 and over returned to pre-pandemic levels in December 2021, the report found that employment in sectors vulnerable to the pandemic, including hospitality and other service industries, was still well below pre-pandemic levels, down 11 percent. cent, or 288,000 jobs, as of December 2019.
Women have been significantly affected by the losses in these sectors, accounting for 60% of the cuts.
Learn more about The Star’s Joshua Chong.
5:15 a.m. York Region is approaching a “tragic milestone” of 1,000 deaths from COVID-19.
The number of deaths in this sixth wave has been lower than in previous waves thanks to excellent vaccination coverage, says the region’s medical officer of health, but there are still 10 to 20 deaths a day in Ontario and near one a day in York Region.
Dr. Barry Pakes presented an update to the regional board on May 26. Here’s what you need to know, via The Era’s Kim Zarzour.
5 a.m. Researchers are struggling to explain why Quebec recorded the highest number of official COVID-19 deaths in the country despite a relatively low number of excess deaths between March 2020 and October 2021.
A new study published Monday by the Canadian Medical Association Journal attempted to answer that question, but failed.
“I would say at this point it’s something we need to understand,” Kimberlyn McGrail, a professor in the University of British Columbia’s School of Population and Public Health, said in an interview.
The study, “Excess Mortality, COVID-19 and Health Care Systems in Canada,” indicates that Quebec recorded 4,033 excess deaths between March 2020 and October 2021, but reported 11,470 deaths from COVID-19, or nearly three times as much. This is the largest gap recorded in Canada during the pandemic. Excess deaths refer to the extent to which observed deaths exceed expected deaths based on modeling from previous years.
Read more from The Canadian Press.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION